Friday, January 29, 2010

Exposing Thyself

This will probably be my fifth attempt to have a sort of on-line journal; technically a second attempt at a blog. Years ago I was going to do a goth themed blog–writing reviews on gothic pop culture, (is that an oxy moron?), art, and posting about material goodies. I wrote one post and never blogged again. My problem is I detest writing, and I don’t like on-line journals. I feel it exposes too much of myself in a medium I’m not comfortable with. I prefer to show my inner sewage visually, not verbally. I’m also a perfectionist. I feel I can’t sit here for hours editing my entry. To me these are rough drafts and I don’t do rough drafts. I either finish something completely to it’s utmost potential or I set it down to become shuffled around, torn, lost, or (when I had pets) the work either became products of digestion or became bowel placemats. Either way, rough drafts are synonymous with shit.

Paradoxically enough I can’t escape writing, and even do it as a side project, (what can I say, I’m a sadist). I am an on-going contributer to the Chicago dark arts publication, Kilter Magazine ( www.kiltermagazine.org/ ).

They were gracious enough to feature some of my art in their Fall 2009 issue. Which leads to me to the reason I’m attempting another blog. A) I feel it will strengthen my skills as a writer, and to not procrastinate as one. B) It’s more exposure as an artist. For the past few days I’ve been joining, and re-establishing already existing profiles, on networking sites. I can’t express enough how much I want to be involved in the arts industry. Not only would it be wonderful to make it my full time “job” but to be surrounded by the creative brains, (Hey, we’re talking about the distant future here. We are all going to be a bunch of soft blue-glowing brains in sleek floating jars.), of the art world. C) This will allow me to make more connections and friends in the industry. I love waxing poetic with other artists and learning from them. I’m self taught and I tend to run into trouble during certain projects. It’ll be nice to have others to turn to when I need advice. At least, that’s a hope of mine–if anyone out there decides to read this.

My number one goal for this year is to have income revenue from my artwork. I work part-time in retail, which helps me survive and allows me to purchase what I need for arts sake. So now it’s time to take what I have and turn it into profit. It isn’t easy, you have spend alot of money in order to earn it; I’m prepared.

Thank you for reading. Suggestions, comments, followers are more than welcome. I’ll be posting other sites that I’m active on so that if you’re a member you can add me as a contact.

-Case

2 comments: