Monday, February 1, 2010

Jackie of All Trades, Master of None

If there is one thing that I don’t mind writing about, it’s myself. Actually, that statement, like everything except Death, is not 100%. I’m still not completely comfortable with putting everything out there; I’m not a feelings sharer. Part of my uneasiness comes from the fear of turning people off through boredom. I’m not sure what people want to know. Most of the articles about starting blogs–specifically those that are used to reach their markets–give tips like, “write about the creative process…”. The problem is I don’t have much of one. My process starts at being inspired–it can be through a song, a grime stain on the subway, a certain fabric, or merely lying in bed letting my mind run amuck; amusing myself with my hysterics. However, most of the time I gather all of my materials and ask “what am I going to do with all of this?!” Most things I imagine creating I don’t have the supplies for, and I certainly don’t have the money to willy-nilly buy everything my imagination wants to spring for. My imagination is like a greedy only child, (don’t be offended, I’m allowed to say this because I grew up as an only child). It whines and tugs on my heartstrings, “Whhhhhy can’t I have this?! You haven’t bought me anything in ages, so you must have money!” It just doesn’t comprehend that life brings on other expenses other than itself and its want/”needs”. In other instances I can’t keep up with my ideas! It’s as if my brain is a super computer (do we even use that term anymore?) navigating through search engines–pulling everything and anything to be inspired by. Whole ideas sprout up at an average of 3/millisecond and it begins to pull mini-ideas off of those whole ideas. My hand can’t write and sketch fast enough and the ideas are gone before I can get them all down. There is no back or refresh button.

I suppose my process, in creating anything, is much like my personality. Excitable, frenzied, everything but the kitchen sink, backwards, spontaneous, imperfect, and most of all I’m a leap before I look type of gal. I get into projects without knowing what the hell I’m doing; literally. I know how to paint, to an extent. I know how to construct garments, to an extent. I know how to make jewelry, to an extent. I don’t let a little thing like, “I’ve never done this before”, stop me! Hopefully the day I decide to try out woodworking and go get that portable Ryobi 10″ Table Saw from Home Depot, someone will talk me off that cliff!

No comments:

Post a Comment